Welcome to the Colorado Wetlands Inventory
- This webpage is the jumping off point for the most comprehensive information available
on the extent and distribution of wetlands in Colorado. There are two main sections
of the Colorado Wetlands Inventory:
- The Colorado Wetlands
Inventory Mapping Tool, which displays several different datasets depicting
the location and classification of wetlands in Colorado. Digital mapping of wetlands
is still limited in our state, but is increasing every year. Through the mapping
tool, viewers can see the status of several major wetland mapping efforts and the
actual mapped polygons. Datasets displayed in the mapping tool include:
In addition to the wetland datasets, the Colorado Wetlands Inventory Mapping Tool
includes two data products created by CNHP:
Conservation Areas (PCAs) drawn for wetland and riparian dependent elements.
These PCAs represent wetland and riparian areas with high biodiversity value across
- Modeled Intensity of Wetland Stressors. This statewide model that integrates stress
form transportation networks, development, resource extraction, and hydrologic modification
into one seamless map, highlighting areas of high potential stress and low potential
stress for aquatic resources.
As a background, users can choose between streets, aerial photos, and topographic
maps. Users can also toggle on and off supplemental information including county
boundaries, two levels of USGS Hydrologic
Units (river basins and subbasins), two levels of
EPA Ecoregions, and COMaP
general land ownership.
- The Colorado Wetlands Inventory Profiles and Summary Page (this webpage), which
compiles and summarizes available wetland information shown in the mapping tool.
Wetland profiles and summary information are available at three different geographic
- Major River Basins (modified HUC4s)
- River Subbasins (HUC8s)
Four different summary reports are available for each geographic scale:
- Wetland profiles that describe the general geography of the area, the extent of
wetland mapping, and the acreage of various wetland classes mapped by National Wetland
- A list of CNHP’s wetland and riparian dependent PCAs within the area, including
a link to the individual PCA reports
- A list of CNHP’s tracked wetland and riparian dependent elements (plants, animals,
and natural communities) found within the area, including a count of known occurrences
- A list of CNHP reports for projects that include information on wetland and riparian
areas either within the specific area or applicable across the state or region
To access the profiles and summary reports, select on a geographic scale of interest
from the menus above. Once the area of interest is selected, you will be directed
to the wetland profile page. To view CNHP data summaries, pick from the list on
the left sidebar.
- Please explore and let us know what you think of the new tool! Questions or comments
can be addressed to Joanna Lemly, CNHP Wetland Ecologist,
Joanna Lemly (email@example.com)
- This project is a collaborative effort of the Colorado Natural Heritage Program
and the Colorado Parks and Wildlife, with funding support from U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency, Region 8. Many additional partners participated by contributing
data and ideas.